MISSION: To teach English to non-English speaking adults
Diablo Valley Literacy Council is an all-volunteer organization whose mission is to assist adults in the Diablo Valley (Central Costa County) area who need to improve their English as a second language. We offer free, flexible one-on-one ESL tutoring.
Who We Are
- DVLC has been in continuous operation since 1978.
- DVLC is a private, non-profit organization.
- DVLC is composed of all volunteers, no paid staff.
- DVLC is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors
- The Board directs the daily activities of the organization and
- provides workshops to teach individuals how to become tutors
- A quarterly newsletter is published for DVLC members and tutors
- Membership in the Diablo Valley Literacy Council is $15 annually. Tutors are urged to maintain their membership. Membership dues provide the bulk of DVLC's operating budget.
- Our Board is composed of volunteers with a variety of background. Our elected officers are:
- President: Julie Kim
- Vice-President: Rachel Sanborn
- Treasurer: Jin Qinghua
- Secretary: Daly Young
- DVLC is a member of the national organization, ProLiteracy Worldwide.
- ProLiteracy Worldwide has a paid staff of experts with skills in education, organization and communication which are made available to councils such as DVLC.
- ProLiteracy Worldwide sponsors a conference that helps attendees discover new tools and strategies, implement dynamic programming, enhance leadership skills, and engage with a diverse group of peers from other literacy organizations.
- Diablo Valley Literacy Council 4000 Clayton Road Concord, CA 94521 (925) 685-3881 firstname.lastname@example.org